ATown was born as Allen Sherrod on June 5, 1993, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. A comedian from the ground up loves to go out and hang out with great vibes. His struggles, Pain, and strength makes him the man he is. Lets dive deeper.
-What helped you during hard times?
God. Leave it to God and don’t stray away. One reason is I almost committed suicide or end up in jail.
- Brought knife to school.
- Would’ve stabbed someone because of the bullying and threats.
- Something spoke to me and I didn’t.
Do you feel like Middle school was a horrible experience?
- Middle school was the worst part of my life.
- People would want to harm or kill me
- No security in the Charter school I attended in Philadelphia.
- I kept praying & kept showing them my face.
Has there been times that deterred you?
- Sometimes, at Dr. Appts would help stay away from school.
- Used it as an excuse not to go back to school.
- Didn’t sincerely open up to my mom because she wouldn’t believe me.
- I love her and vise versa but its hard to understand the new age kids when you have kids.
- She didn’t see the depth of trouble and pain.
Was there a point where your mom interfered with the way you were treated?
- Yes. She went to school and confronted the bullies.
- They lied to her and told her its me
How did that make you feel?
- All I can think and say is “Aint this bout a B*tch”
- Literally my thought over and over … “Aint this bout a B*tch”
- They would flip the table and I would be frustrated that I wouldn’t talk about it.
- Made me look I am the villain and I have to internally deal with it.
Did you get to walk the stage as a Middle School Graduate? How was that like with everything happening?
- Was kicked out from graduating in 8th grade from Charter School because a teacher said I wasn’t allowed to eat out of church. It was all just a target to push me.
- Reality, I, as well as anyone, can eat.
- It didn’t bother me as much as making sure I graduate from HS and walk the stage.
How’d you feel during your High School Graduation?
- It was raining. I looked at it as Angels crying.
- Felt weird like new steps were being ordered.
- People came to watch me. People from PBS came and took pictures of me and I wasn’t sure why.
- I was nervous as far as reaching fame because I am being pulled in different directions and told I cannot go to college.
How did you feel about college?
- College people and recruits kept talking me down.
- I wanted to be a self defense attorney.
- They kept tellin me to test for hands on, discouraging me, and I know I am not inadequate.
- Made me test for Attorney for defense
- I was told its not because I have health issues but it truly was why
- I kept feeling the judgement purely off their words and deliverance.
What did you do after their statements?
- I told my mom
- In some way she agreed in her ways.
- She re-iterated that my health issues made people look at me different.
- When I would read for College members, they would tell me I am saying or speaking incorrectly but I KNOW I was not.
- Its was all pre-judgement based off of my health.
How did that allow you to move and/or adjust?
- I learned and revisited because I was hands on.
- Went to culinary school.
- Went to therapy to understand the life I had and how to be positive.
- I wanted to get into Morris College in North Carolina and didn’t get it because of my health.
- They kept telling me I was not ready.
- The Drs. Kept telling me no for college.
- Social worker said no.
- My own mom said I was not ready.
With the way people downplayed your performance or skills, what would you tell others who face similar issues?
- Pieces will fall in place. You do not chose.
- When you follow God, you believe its your work but its really God.
- “Please do what you feel in your heart. Do not allow people to change or stop you.”
- “keep your head up. Miracles happen. Just push forward Thank you for asking Z. Someone will believe you.”
Key take away:
- Some of the bullies are dead.
- Some girl lied about ATown and the boyfriend brought a gun to middle school to harm him.
- Later he apologized when he found out the girlfriend lied.
- Keep walking in faith and leave no room for bullies.
- “I was hurting from my past but I fought to stay above.”